You want to extend the battery life of your Android smartphone? We’ll show you helpful tips and tricks to help you limit your mobile traffic and set limits on data usage.
Apartments at top locations
Our goal: to create a new home for you at affordable prices! BIEN-RIES AG
Although many mobile service providers are focusing more and more on the offer of voluminous data volume. Contracts with up to five gigabytes of data quota are no longer a rarity. However, those who have to deal with significantly less data or are unwilling to pay extra can provide some tips for a much more efficient management of the available data quota.
In the following lines we give you numerous hints that help save data on your smartphone. If you do not agree with the battery life of your Android smartphone or tablet PC, you will find in a separate tutorial various tips and tricks for extended battery life on Android.
Use data compression of the browser
- Some mobile browsers now offer the feature of data compression for lower consumption of mobile data. Let us illustrate the principle using the example of the Chrome browser for Android.
2. Open Chrome on your android and then tap the dots icon in the upper right corner. Then click on the menu item “Settings”.
3. Now tap on the entry “Data save mode” and then change the slider. From now on you can see here a log of the saved data volume.
4. Another recommended Android browser with data-saving features is the Opera browser.
Sets to offline navigations
5. There are numerous navigation apps that you can use to counteract the rapid consumption of mobile data. Recommended representatives include Here WeGo and Google Maps.
6. In separate tutorials, we’ll show you how to set up and use Google Maps or Here WeGo for offline navigation.
Disable WhatsApp auto downloads
7. The WhatsApp chat messenger offers the option to personalize auto downloads for received media while using mobile data. So you do not run the risk of unnoticed photos or videos to download, but decides in each case itself, which file should always be loaded and which only when connected to a Wi-Fi network.
8. Open the WhatsApp settings via the dots icon and then tap on “Data Usage”.
9. Now click on “With mobile data connection” under “Media Auto Download”. Now uncheck the file types that should not be automatically downloaded and confirm with “OK”.
10. Optionally, you can enable the option for reduced data consumption with WhatsApp phone calls
Use offline mode of the streaming services
11. Should you rely on music streaming services on your smartphone while on the go, it’s a good idea to download songs, albums or entire playlists on the go.
12. We’ll show you the principle of the popular music streaming service Spotify in a separate tutorial.
13. How to download Apple Music playlists for offline playback from our competitor, we’ll show you in the video.
Set alert and data limits
14. Android offers the option to set a warning and data limit with on-board means. To do this, follow these steps:
15. Open the settings on your smartphone and navigate to the “Data Usage”> “Mobile Data Usage” section. Now tap on the gear.
16. First, set the “billing period”. Sets the date of the reset of the usage cycle of your data and confirms with “Apply”. Corresponding date you have to ask your mobile service provider.
17. Now tap on “Mobile data alert limit”. Set here the desired value and tap on “Apply”.
18. Finally, you can activate the slider at “Set data limit”, click on “Data limit” and enter the desired value again and tap on “Apply”.
Increasingly relies on a 2G compound
19. Switch your mobile data retrieval – if possible – to 2G. For mobile accessibility via e-mail or WhatsApp as well as the sending of appropriate messages, the 2G network is completely sufficient. Even a short Google search is possible with a little patience. The 2G mode reduces the data transfer to a minimum and also saves battery.
20. To switch from 4G (LTE) or 3G to 2G, first open the Android settings and then tap “More”.
22. With the free app “2G / 3G Switching” you can reach the shown settings menu much faster via fast access.